July 22nd, 2009 admin
As I was poking around the kid’s website at Apartment Therapy, I came across an awesome dorm zen idea–container gardening! I did a little more research on it, and I was really impressed.
Those of us who have only a dorm room or an apartment to work with (and therefore limited gardening space) can still have a little garden. I love the idea of whipping up a small herb garden to make cooking cheaper (have you seen how expensive herbs are, even dried ones?!). Plus as you’ll remember, I’ve found that plants have a very soothing influence–a nice bonus when you’re studying for finals.
You’ll probably need a little bit of outdoor space–a small patio, balcony, or even a window box will do. Here are some links to get you started:
- Ingenious shoe pocket organizer garden (photo above). This was the inspiration for this post, and definitely my favorite container garden so far. I love that it is cheap, efficient, and really kind of cute.
- A plethora of YouTube videos on container gardening. There are some targeted specifically to herb gardening, so if you want to give herbs a shot make sure you watch those. Some plants are trickier to grow than you would think.
- A WVU student examines the best plant options for container gardening, as well as its requirements and benefits.
- Colorado State’s coop has tips, too, and
- About.com can teach you how to plant in anything from a pot to a Capri Sun packet.
Has anybody given this a shot? I’m thinking of trying a little herb garden in my apartment! 🙂
Entry Filed under: dorm room