February 11th, 2009 admin
Like it or not, Valentine’s Day always seems to force us to contemplate our relationship status: being single, hooked up, serious, or otherwise. Having spent a good couple years of college being single (sometimes loving it, other times hating it) I thought this week was the perfect time to share a few reasons why being single is awesomely good.
- You Can Learn What You Love. When you’re on your own, you’re completely free to explore your life passions. You have time to indulge in a three hour novella-writing spree at 2 a.m. or take a road trip with your buddies to see the most incredible car museum this side of the Mississippi. And you’ll want to know that so you will make time for that passion when you do get into a relationship.
- You Can Learn How Strong You Are. When my dad was first diagnosed with cancer, I remember my mom wondering aloud if she could make it on her own-she’d gone from living with her parents straight to being married to my dad. She’d never had to cope with tough stuff on her own, so at almost fifty she was still unsure of her own personal strength.
- You Can Make Amazing Friends. Good relationships are wonderful but time consuming. Being single allows you the time and emotional energy to build deep and lasting friendships-friendships that will last even if relationships don’t.
- You Can Make Decisions for You. Being in a relationship means making a lot of decisions as a team, so enjoy the freedom you have to do things your way! Right now you get to choose exactly how to spend your time and money-from studying abroad to taking on a new job to road-tripping with your roommates. And you don’t have to share the remote.
- You Can Test Your Boundaries. Living at home or being in a serious relationship can both affect your ability to learn who you really are. It’s possible, of course, but it’s harder because (I reiterate!) your time and commitment are both more divided. So try new things (legal things, I mean), meet new people, and make big goals. See just how much you are capable of when you let yourself try.
And stop worrying about getting into a relationship if you’re not in one yet! The good ones find you when you’re doing the right things, anyway. 😉
And as always, please feel free to share your reasons why being single rocks with the class.